Ogun govt dismisses Gbenga Daniel’s violence allegation

1 hour ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX
Ogun govt dismisses Gbenga Daniel’s violence allegation

By James Ogunnaike

Ogun State Government has dismissed allegations by Senator Gbenga Daniel over perceived or planned violence ahead of the Ogun East senatorial primaries, describing the claims as hypocritical, baseless and a desperate attempt to create unnecessary tension within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The Special Adviser to Governor Dapo Abiodun on Information and Strategy, Kayode Akinmade, in a statement on Monday, said it was ironic that Daniel, whose tenure as governor was allegedly characterised by political violence, intimidation and thuggery, would now attempt to portray himself as a defender of peace and democratic order.

Akinmade stated that Ogun people still remember the political climate during Daniel’s administration when opposition voices and dissenting interests were allegedly suppressed through strong-arm tactics and intimidation.

He maintained that the administration of Governor Abiodun has, however, remained committed to peaceful democratic engagement, political tolerance and inclusiveness since assuming office in 2019.

According to him, the state has continued to witness peaceful political activities, freer participation by opposition elements and a more open democratic environment devoid of harassment and politically-motivated violence.

The governor’s aide accused Daniel of trying to manufacture tension ahead of the primaries because of fears over the outcome of the process, saying the violence narrative was merely an excuse to avoid what he described as an impending humiliating defeat at the polls.

He said: “It is strange that someone whose political era was widely associated with violence and thuggery is now raising alarm over imaginary threats to peace under an administration that has been widely acknowledged for promoting political harmony and tolerance.

“These allegations are clearly designed to heat up the polity, create suspicion and possibly discredit a process that may not serve certain personal political interests. It is also obvious that the violence alarm is being used as a convenient excuse to avoid a humiliating defeat in the primaries.”

Akinmade assured party members and residents of the state that the Ogun East senatorial primaries would be peaceful, transparent and orderly, stressing that the APC leadership in the state remained committed to a credible democratic process.

He added that no responsible government would sponsor violence within its own party structure after investing significantly in maintaining peace and stability across the state.

The government urged political leaders and their supporters to embrace peace, avoid inflammatory comments and allow democracy to take its natural course.

Recall that loyalists of Senator Daniel, under the aegis of BATOGD Movement, had earlier announced their pullout from the primary for the 2027 All Progressives Congress Ogun East Senate race slated for today

The movement, in a statement, cited alleged plans by some agents of the state government to unleash violence on the supporters of the former governor, hence their decision not to participate in the primary.

The APC stakeholders said that they have also urged Daniel to stay away from the scheduled Senate primary.

The statement was signed by 35 members including General (Rev’d) Olumuyiwa Okunowo rtd (Ijebu Ode), Akogun Kola Onadipe (Ijebu North East), Otunba Fatai Sowemimo (Remo North) and Prince Segun Seriki (Ijebu North), Hon. John Obafemi (Remo North), Otunba Tayo Onayemi (Ijebu North East), Dr Bankole Osisanya (Ijebu East), Alhaja Ronke Carew (Odogbolu), Rt. Hon. Remmy Hassan (Odogbolu) and Hon Oludare Kadiri (Maba) (Ijebu North), among others.

The statement partly reads “Since we joined our great Party, the All Progressive Congress some years ago, we believe we have added value in no unmistakable terms to the party.

“We have followed our principal to all the nooks and crannies of the Ogun East Senatorial District, empowering the people and we are glad that the goodwill of His Excellency Bola Ahmed Tinubu, President and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, has been supportive in no small measure.

“However, what we have experienced in recent times is at variance with our understanding of the principles of a democratic system where fair play is the minimum expectation.

“In the last few days, we have seen all manners of strange movements and miscreants taking positions and ready to strike down our people. We have heard and seen agents of the state government threatening fire and brimstone against our supporters, and the elections yesterday is a confirmation of our worst fears.

“We do not believe in good conscience that we should subject our people to unnecessary danger and mayhem.

“On this note, we have advised our Principal, His Excellency, Senator Otunba Gbenga Daniel, to distance himself from the Senatorial party Primary elections.

“We also hereby advise our supporters to stay away from the venues of the Senatorial party Primary election of Monday 18th May, 2026, for their own safety.”

The post Ogun govt dismisses Gbenga Daniel’s violence allegation appeared first on Vanguard News.

Read more on this