Malami demands immediate release of abducted ex-Kebbi APC chairman, one other

2 months ago 35
ARTICLE AD BOX

Former Attorney‑General and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami has urged an immediate rescue of two elderly men abducted in Kebbi State. The victims are Alhaji Muhammad Mai Barga Besse, a former APC chairman of Koko‑Besse Local Government Area, and Alhaji Yahaya Bili.

Malami posted a statement on his Facebook page on Saturday after a video circulated online showing the men pleading for help while held captive. He described the situation as heartbreaking, noting the men’s advanced age and reported health problems, and condemned the inhumane treatment.

“I am deeply concerned by the distressing video circulating on social media showing two elderly citizens from Kebbi State, Alhaji Muhammad Mai Barga Besse and Alhaji Yahaya Bili, appealing for help while in captivity,” he said.

He expressed sympathy for the families and prayed for the men’s safe and swift return, calling on security agencies to intensify efforts to secure their release.

“I respectfully urge the relevant security agencies and authorities to intensify efforts toward securing their immediate and safe release. The protection of lives remains a fundamental responsibility, and every necessary measure should be taken to rescue them and reunite them with their families,” he added.

The appeal follows a video that showed the abducted men in distress, lamenting deteriorating health conditions while in captivity. The footage, which the men claim they have been held for an extended period, shows them urging families, community leaders and government officials to act urgently for their release.

In the clip, the former APC chairman described suffering from illness and harsh conditions in the kidnappers’ camp, and said they had been forced to travel long distances despite their age and medical challenges.

Malami concluded by praying for divine intervention, hoping the victims regain strength and return home safely.

Read more on this