Five police officers arraigned in connection with musician OG Millan's death

2 months ago 43
ARTICLE AD BOX

Five police officers were arraigned on Monday before the High Court in Asaba, Delta State, over the death of Oghenemine Ogidi, better known as OG Millan.

The defendants are ASP Usman Nuhu (42), ASP Onoloko Dauroupamo (47), ASP Okoh Kelechi (46), Inspector Goodluck Kingsley (42) and Inspector Omonigho Ahweyevu (41). The case, filed under Suit No. THC/ASB/CR/M/66C/2026, was heard by Justice Marshal Onome Umukoro.

The court ordered that the officers be remanded at the Ogwashi‑Uku Correctional Centre while further proceedings are pending. The matter was adjourned until 15 June 2026 for a second arraignment, after the Directorate of Public Prosecutions requested legal advice.

Family members were not informed of the arraignment, and journalists were barred from the courtroom during the hearing.

Human‑rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu said the court’s appearance of the officers was a “positive step toward justice.” He added that the officers will remain in custody while the DPP reviews the case.

Gwamnishu expressed concern that the deceased’s family had not received updates, including the autopsy report, and noted attempts to limit public observation of the proceedings. He indicated that future hearings might be held virtually, with the suspects appearing from the correctional facility while the court follows the session remotely. He hopes the legal process will move quickly so the full trial can commence.

Emuobor Alex, a cousin of the deceased, said the family was not adequately informed about the court sitting and only learned of the hearing through unofficial channels. He recounted that family members travelled from Warri to Asaba after receiving early‑morning information that the matter would be heard in court. “We were advised to contact the Commissioner of Police, but later got information from activists that the case would be heard today. We rushed down to Asaba immediately,” he said. Alex added that the family arrived after the proceedings had ended, leaving them frustrated. He appealed to the Delta State Ministry of Justice and other authorities to ensure timely communication with the family in the future. “Our only request is to be carried along. We want to know what is happening in the case of our late brother,” he said.

Victory Ogidi, the elder brother of the deceased, also complained about the lack of communication from the authorities handling the case. He said the family had been relying on social media and third‑party information instead of official updates. “We lost our brother, and we should not be relying on social media to know what is happening in a case that concerns us directly,” he said. Victory urged the Attorney‑General of Delta State, the Ministry of Justice, and the Nigeria Police Force to ensure transparency and regular updates for the family. He stressed that the family is not asking for special treatment, but only to be properly informed and included in the process.

Read more on this