Alleged Rigging: Atiku’s camp fires back at Babachir Lawal, demands evidence 

2 months ago 34
ARTICLE AD BOX

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar’s camp has responded to former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal, after his recent criticism of the party’s presidential primary.

The ADC denounced Lawal for making unsubstantiated claims and attempting to tarnish a democratic process over which he had no influence.

Lawal, who announced his resignation from the party on Monday, accused Atiku of manipulating the outcome of the primaries held nationwide.

He questioned the credibility of the exercise, alleging that it had been compromised.

In a statement issued by Atiku’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, the candidate’s supporters accused Lawal of maligning both the party and its members without evidence.

“Having chosen to malign a democratic process, insult thousands of ADC members nationwide, and make grave allegations without presenting a shred of evidence, it has become necessary to set the record straight,” the statement read.

Shaibu rejected claims that the ADC presidential primary was manipulated, insisting that the exercise reflected the will of party members across the country.

He said Lawal had failed to provide any proof to support his allegations of electoral manipulation.

“The truth is straightforward. The ADC presidential primaries were conducted across thousands of wards and produced a clear and decisive outcome. What Mr Lawal has offered Nigerians is not evidence,” the statement added.

“He has produced no documents, no verifiable facts, no credible witnesses, and no proof whatsoever to support his sensational allegations,” the Atiku camp said.

Read more on this