Accord Rejects Deregistration Order Despite Officials Already Elected

2 months ago 27
ARTICLE AD BOX

The Accord Party in Oyo State has rejected the Federal High Court judgment that ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to deregister five parties, including Accord.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Justice Peter Lifu, in his judgment on Monday, directed INEC to deregister Accord, ADC, AA, APP and ZLP for failing to secure 25 per cent of the votes in the last election as required by the constitution.

The Accord Party’s Secretary, Hon Olayinka Dairo, told NAN in Ibadan on Tuesday that the party had elected officials in the state and therefore could not be deregistered.

“We have like two or three councilors, and they are also elected,” he said. “So all the reasons they have been giving that Accord is part of the parties that were deregistered is not realistic; I wonder why Accord is listed,” he added.

Dairo said that Accord had already filed an appeal against the judgment and will seek a stay of execution pending determination of the appeal.

When asked whether the appeal had been filed, Dairo replied: “definitely, 100 per cent. We have appealed the case in Abuja because we saw this coming earlier.”

The judgment was delivered under no. FHC/ABJ/CS/2637/2026, filed by the Incorporated Trustees of National Forum of Former Legislators against the five parties.

NAN

Read more on this